Tuesday, October 06, 2009

A Gentle & Quiet Spirit

I was working through my daily Bible study this morning, out of the book Putting on A Gentle and Quiet Spirit, by Elizabeth George. The prayer at the end of today's reading was so lovely, I just had to post it here:

"Teach me, Lord, to keep sweet and gentle in all the events of life, in disappointments, in thoughtlessness of others, in the insincerity of those I trusted, in the unfaithfulness of those on whom I relied.

Help me to put myself aside, to think of the happiness of others, to hide my little pains and heartaches, so that I may be the only one to suffer from them.

Teach me to profit by the suffering that comes to me. Help me to use it that it may mellow me, not harden or embitter me; that it may make me broad in my forgiveness; kindly, sympathetic, and helpful."
~~~~

May you not be discouraged when trials come your way. And may God give you grace sufficient to bear up under, always putting on a gentle & quiet spirit, which is so pleasing to Him.

"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." ~Romans 5:3-5